Gallery Internship Program
Located in Newark, NJ, Iandor Fine Arts (IFA) is the repository for the Norman W. Lewis Estate. Norman W. Lewis (1909-1979) had a very illustrious career beginning post Harlem Renaissance. He is known as one of the great Abstract Expressionists, being the only African American abstractionist of the New York School of Abstract Expressionism in the mid-20th century. Lewis’ art is in the most noted museum collections in the United States and abroad.
Iandor Fine Arts (IFA) is seeking a motivated, reliable, and detail-oriented intern to provide support to the staff in all aspects of gallery operation. Duties will include—but are not limited to—filing, mailing, research, text and image editing, database maintenance, gallery sitting/front desk, basic administrative tasks, in addition to assistance on special project. Select interns may have the opportunity to assist with curatorial matters as they pertain to gallery operations.
This unpaid internship opportunity will expose interns to the complete and inner workings of a metropolitan commercial art gallery. The gallery will select a diverse group of talented undergraduate students from a highly competitive pool of candidates. A commitment of 3 to 4 days per week is desired, and weekends may be included in the standard workweek. Interns must be available during gallery openings. Academic credit and coordination with educational institutions can be arranged.
The ideal candidate has a demonstrated interest in contemporary art, a pleasant disposition, and a strong work ethic. Multitasking and the ability to complete projects efficiently are must have characteristics. Other skills and eligibility requirements include:
- Current enrollment in an accredited college or university
- Either a junior or senior in an arts related program
- At least a 3.0 grade point average
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Proper phone manner
- Familiarity with proper writing styles/formatting (MLA, Chicago, AP)
- Experience writing press releases or preparing press related packages/materials
- Basic computer proficiency on both Mac and PC platforms
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Photoshop, Illustrator is preferred
- Knowledge of HTML, blogging software, and web development a plus
To apply, prospective interns must submit the following materials:
Letter of interest
CV or resume
One letter of recommendation
Two writing samples (one scholarly, one editorial)
Applications should be addressed to Jade Lien and sent via e-mail to email@example.com